Resources and Information
Nevada Diabetes Association Resource Directory:
2020 English Resource Directory
2015-2016 Spanish Resource Directory
The resource is your complete guide to the Great Nevada Area Diabetes Services, Specialist, Clinics and Guides. Plus the Resource Directory is also a great tool to help you manage yourself (or your loved one’s)diabetes, what to ask you healthcare team, what standards in care should be done and how to navigate being diabetic with the new Healthcare Act (coming in the 2014 addition.)
Diabetes: What You Need to Know Presentation:
To Download: DIABETES- What You Need to Know
Nevada Diabetes Association Facebook Page- join the conversation, stay up to date and like us on Facebook: Click Here
California Diabetes Association Facebook Page- join the conversation, stay up to date and like us on Facebook- Click Here
GLU- Glu is an active and diverse type 1 diabetes online community designed to accelerate research and amplify the collective voice of those living with T1D. Click Here to learn more and join.
American Diabetes Association: Click Here
Nevada Diabetes Prevent and Control Program: Click Here
Food and Drug Administration- Diabetes: Click Here
Diabetes Education and Camping Association- Click Here
Other On-Link Quick Link Resources:
- Diabetes Insipidus Foundation — Diabetes Insipidus is diabetes that is not widely diagnosed. It is not related to, but often mistaken for diabetes mellitus.
- Diabetes Net — Diabetes Shopping Mall and Information
- dLife For Your Diabetes Life! online magazine, pod casts recipes and more
- Feline Diabetes — A clearinghouse for information, questions, and links concerning diabetes in cats.
- Diabetes in Dogs — The common form of diabetes in dogs is analogous to juvenile diabetes in people
- International Diabetes — Extensive Worldwide links to resources and research information.
- Joslin Diabetes Center — Established in 1898, and affiliated with Harvard Medical School, Joslin leads the field in both basic and clinical research, and is devoted to educating both patients and professionals.
- Mayo Clinic Easy to navigate with good information on the Types and Symptoms of diabetes as well as good management information.
Government Resource Web Links:
- CDC Diabetes Information — The Center for Disease Control Diabetes Public Resource includes links to State Diabetes Control Programs
- Family Ties of Nevada— This is a link to the Nevada State program to help families with children under 19 years old with Type 1 diabetes.
- Get Healthy Clark County Clark County information and links to sites for healthy living, chronic diseases, tobacco fact, getting active and more.
- Get Healthy Washoe County Washoe County information and links to sites for healthy living, chronic diseases, tobacco fact, getting active and more.
- HealthCare.gov The place to go to find out about the how to get inurance under the Healthcare reform Act.
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases — Patient Information on Diabetes and related Health and Research information
- State of Nevada Diabetes Prevention and Control Program
Click Here for Support Group Page
Click Here for Camp Programs Page
School Guidelines for Children with Diabetes:
Washoe County/ Renown- Getting Your Child to School:
Other Helpful Organizations:
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinology — This is a good place to start if you need to find a diabetes specialist in your community.
- American Cancer Society
- American Diabetes Association
- American Heart Association
- Children with Diabetes
- Insulin-Free World Foundation — Transplant,immunology, insurance information.
- The Islet Foundation — Islet Research Information
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation — The Juvenile Diabetes Foundation International is a not-for-profit, voluntary health agency whose mission is to support and fund research to find a cure for diabetes and its complications.
- Canadian Diabetes Association — Our mission is to promote the health of Canadians through diabetes research, education, service and advocacy
- Diabetes UK — Information, resources and links for people in the UK
- Diabetes South Africa — Information resources and links for people in South Africa
- Kids Exercise From th UK some very help tips to keep your kids moving.
- International Diabetes
Diet and Nutrition Resources
- Ask the Dietitian — Check out Joanne Larson’s Weight / Calorie Calculator!
- About Diabetes — Information and Links to Carbohydrate Counting, Meal Planning, the Vegetarian Resource Group and many other useful sites
- LowCarbEating-– Atkins Diet and Low Carb Diet recipes, information, support, products, and much more
- The Glycemic Index — Not all carbohydrate foods are created equal, in fact they behave quite differently in our bodies. The glycemic index or GI describes this difference by ranking carbohydrates according to their effect on our blood glucose levels
Help with Medications:
- RXHelp4NV — RxHelp4NV is a service available through a partnership with the Governor’s Office for Consumer Health Assistance, and America’s pharmaceutical companies, in order to improve health care access for the citizens of Nevada. Other states have similar programs.
- Partnership for Prescription Assistance If you don’t have prescription coverage and can’t afford your medicines you can go online to this site or call 1-888-4PPA-NOW. 1-888-477-2669. More than 2500 brand-names and generic medicines are covered and are available Free or Nearly Free.
- Together RX Access A Division of the Pharm programs Together RX Access offers a FREE Prescription Saving Card to people who do not qualify for the Partnership for Prescription Assistance Program. To get a card you can register online or call 1-800-250-2864. Mail in forms and Instant Access cards will also be available at our office.
- RX Access4U or Call 877-226 9050 to see if you qualify for assistance. Charges a fee for service. Tell them you are a member of the Nevada Diabetes Association to receive a discount
Help for People in Nevada without Health Insurance:
If you do not have health insurance the following programs may be of help.
- Access to Healthcare Network 775-284-8989
Information on Complications:
- Kidney Diseases
- Hemochromatosis— a condition of too much iron in the blood that can cause diabetes.
- Neuropathy– Nerve Damage
- Retinopathy and other eyes conditions — Diabetic retinopathy is one of the most common complications associated with diabetes.
Information on Medications and Equipment:
- Abbott Diagnostics Diabetes Now Blood Glucose Monitors to meet a wide variety of needs and lifestyle
- Becton Dickinson — Manufacture of Insulin Syringes and other diabetes related products. Site includes extensive resources and information.
- Dexcom CGM Continuous blood glucose monitoring system
- Lifescan — Blood Glucose Monitor Equipment. Site includes product information plus links
- MiniMed — Information on insulin pumps for people with diabetes
- Tandem Diabetes– Insulin Pump Therapy